Resolve a Grievance

How Can I Report a Problem with DSP Services?

It is fair to say that even with the best efforts of everyone involved, a problem may occur while providing you with services at DSP. If this should happen, we strongly encourage you to let us know so that we can work together to solve the problem as quickly as possible. Experience has shown us that many times a problem arises because of a misunderstanding or miscommunication; clarification can be a quick and effective solution. We can help with some suggestions on how to resolve problems you may have with your service providers, professors, TA's or Departments. It is always best to discuss the issue with the person involved first, and if it cannot be resolved at that level, then go to the person's supervisor or department chair. If DSP staff is part of the problem, we want to know that, too. Should we be unable to assist in resolving a problem, we can refer you to other on-campus resources who may be able to address your grievances.


The American with Disabilities Act requires the University to adopt and publish procedures to resolve problems regarding access to the educational program for persons with disabilities. An individual who believes he or she has been discriminated against on the basis of disability can exercise the options below. We recommend the following progression as the most efficient way of dealing with issues:

  • Discuss with the person in charge of the program in question (IE. Disabilities Specialist, Support Services Coordinator, Adaptive Computing Specialist).
  • Discuss with Gary White, DSP Director, if the issue is regarding the Disabled Students Program 805.893.2182.
  • Consult with the ADA Compliance Coordinator, Jennifer Lofthus 805.893.7025
  • If the issue is still not resolved, please proceed to the Student Grievance Process in the Office of the Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs, and consult with Allyn Fleming 805.893.8784.
  • Seek resolution through the Office of Civil Rights of the Federal Department of Education. The OCR office for California is located in San Francisco. You can call 415.486.5555.
  • The UCSB Ombuds office assists with the informal resolution of any University-related complaint or conflict.
  • Seek resolution through private legal means.

The University is available to assist you in resolving conflicts by informal means. You may exercise any of the options above at any time. Throughout any of these procedures you may expect to be treated with respect, receive a timely response, not suffer any form of retaliation, and have your issues dealt with in a confidential manner, if so requested. The University expects from you that you bring up any problems early, give clear and detailed information and be respectful of those people who are working with you.