What Documentation Do I Need to Provide?

Step 1

Please utilize the respective form below to verify your disability. We require written verification from your treating clinician (i.e.: a medical doctor, psychologist, psychiatrist, licensed educational psychologist, etc.). Once your documentation is received, a Disabilities Specialist will review it and write to indicate that all the documentation necessary has been received or that additional documentation will be required. If you have questions about whether your personal disability qualifies for services through our office, or any questions on the forms, please contact us at 805.893.2668.

Step 2

After documentation noted in Step 1 has been received by DSP, students will be given the option of an intake or completing the interactive process form.

Download ABI Documentation Form pdf icon

Download Temporary Medical Documentation Form pdf icon

DSP requests that students with acquired brain injuries (ABI) submit any previous documentation that they have which can include neuropsychological evaluations. Students may also have their clinicians fill out and sign DSP’s ABI Documentation form as well. If the impact from the brain injury is temporary, students may have their clinicians complete DSP’s Temporary Medical Documentation Form instead.

Download Documentation Form pdf icon

For students with ADD/ADHD, DSP requests that students submit any previous documentation that they have which can include psycho-educational evaluations. It is recommended that students have their clinicians complete DSP’s ADD/ADHD Documentation form as well.

An assessment for ADD/ADHD must be current. In most cases, this means that a diagnostic evaluation must have been completed within the past three years. For more information about what is needed, please see UC Practices for the Documentation and Accommodation of Students with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.

Practices for Assessment and Accommodation for Students with Attention Deficit Disorder. 
ADD Guidelines pdf icon

Prior to registering for courses, each deaf student who is requesting communication services must submit complete and current disability documentation to determine eligibility for services. Documentation required includes the following:

  • Audiogram results aided and unaided within the past year prior to requesting services accompanied by a report written by an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Physician, General Physician or Audiologist.

Download Documentation Form  pdf icon

  • Documentation from your treating physician will establish your eligibility for services. Your doctor can send a letter explaining your condition, or you can download the Physician Follow-Up form by clicking here. Your physician can fax the information to us.
  • Aptitude
  • Achievement
  • Information Processing

Practices for Assessment and Accommodation for Students with Learning Disabilities

LD Guidelines pdf icon

Temporary Medical Documentation Form pdf icon

Download Permanent Condition Form pdf icon

Documentation from your treating physician will establish your eligibility for services. Your doctor can send a letter explaining your condition, or you can download the Physician Follow-Up form (either the temporary or permanent disability form as appropriate). Your physician can fax the information to us, you may upload it to the portal or you can bring it in to our office in person.

Download Documentation Form for Psychological (Includes but is not limited to: Generalized Anxiety, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Asperger’s Syndrome, Bipolar Disorder, Major Depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Schizophrenia) pdf icon

You will need to provide documentation to DSP. Professionals qualified to provide the documentation include, but are not limited to licensed psychologists, psychiatrists, and neurologists, or other professionals with training and expertise in the diagnosis of mental disorders. The documentation from your treating practitioner must be no more than 6 months old, meaning you must have been seen by him/her in the last 6 months. You may be asked to provide additional documentation.

Please ask your psychiatrist or psychologist to provide comprehensive information. The more information we have, the better we are able to determine appropriate accommodations and assistance. In most cases, after you submit your documentation, a disabilities specialist will contact you within one week

You have two options for providing us with the appropriate documentation:

Option 1:

Ask your psychiatrist, psychologist or physician to complete, the form available here.

Option 2:

Submit a complete evaluation from a psychiatrist, psychologist, or physician.

The evaluation should include a complete description of the following:

  • Specific DSM 5 TR diagnosis?
  • What were the assessment or evaluation procedures used to make the diagnosis?
  • Is there historical data that is pertinent to the condition?
  • What are the major symptoms of the disorder currently manifested by the student, including duration and level of severity?
  • If medications are currently prescribed, are there any substantial side effects for this individual?
  • What are the current functional limitations imposed by this disorder? Functional limitations refer to the impacts created by the student's symptoms that create barriers to their education. For example, mental health conditions can create functional limitations that result in the following: limited ability to contribute to group work, decreased attention span, difficulty understanding verbal directions, etc. 
  • What is the current prognosis? When did you last see this individual? How frequently is treatment provided?

Practices for Assessment and Accommodation for Students with Psychological Disabilities
Psych Guidelines pdf icon

In addition to the documentation that establishes eligibility for DSP, students seeking the specific accommodation of "Remote Participation as an Accommodation" should consider also having their providers complete or include in a letter the content indicated in the Provider Verification. Provider Verification for RPA.pdf icon

Additionally, DSP will require students requesting this accommodation to provide responses to the Student Supplemental Form for Remote Participation as an Accommodationpdf icon

Another option you may wish to consider is the UC Online Program. This program enables UC students to take the same high-quality courses offered on campus but in an online format. Approval for enrollment should be obtained from your academic advisor to ensure that the course you wish to take satisfies the appropriate graduation requirement you need to fill. Each campus has a unique enrollment deadline for these courses so please contact the corresponding campus' registrar's office for information.